Mikal Brøndmo is specialised in arbitration and litigation, with a focus on complex and international disputes.
He has especially experience from representing parties in international construction and energy disputes (both oil & gas and renewables), including offshore wind disputes subject to ICC and GMAA. His experience also includes disputes regarding insurance, shipbuilding contracts, defence contracts, distribution contracts, insurance and post M&A.
He has provided advice to a considerable number of Norwegian and foreign clients in respect of complex and high-value disputes before state courts and domestic and international arbitral tribunals.
Brøndmo assists in all stages of a dispute, from early case assessments and claim letters to settlement negotiations and court and arbitral tribunal proceedings to enforcement proceedings.
Mikal also acts as arbitrator in international and domestic arbitrations, such as under rules of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC), the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and in ad hoc arbitrations.
Mikal is a lecturer in the Faculty of Law at the University of Oslo, teaching contract law and civil procedure. Furthermore, he is a censor in the fields of construction law and arbitration. He regularly publishes articles and presents at conferences.
His latest speaking engagements include:
- IBA Annual 2019, panel on offshore wind construction projects,
Seoul September 2019
- The annual Norwegian Petroleum Law seminar, lecture on disruption claims together with Silje Dagsland, Göteborg September 2019
- JUC Group for commercial arbitration: “Ad hoc vs. institutional arbitration”,
Oslo February 2019
- Nordic Arbitration Day 2019, panel debate on Ad hoc vs. institutional arbitration, Stockholm January 2019
- Norwegian Arbitration Day 2019, “International arbitration in Norway – Offshore and onshore construction, including renewable energy”, Oslo January 2019
- Seminar on Arbitration for the Norwegian in-house counsel association,
- International arbitration seminar, moderator for workshop on Ad hoc vs. institutional arbitration, Copenhagen, September 2018
- ASA below 40’ Spring seminar on Construction arbitration, panel on Organizing the procedure, Geneva, June 2018
- Oslo Chamber of Commerce (OCC) Arbitration institute, panel on Impartiality and independence of arbitrators, Oslo, April 2018
- Schoenherr’s annual construction conference, on New tech in construction arbitration, Vienna, November 2017
- The Norwegian Construction law association, on Impartiality and independence of expert lay judges in construction cases – review by the counsels after the Norwegian Supreme court’s decision in case HR-2016-891-U, Oslo, November 2016
- The annual Norwegian Oil and Gas symposium, on Ad hoc vs. institutional arbitration – what to choose, Solstrand, December 2015
He is member of the ICC Commission on arbitration and ADR, of London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), and he is the former Chairman of Young Arbitration Practitioners Norway (YAPN). He is also a member of the editorial board of the Norwegian Business Law Review.
Mikal Brøndmo is recognized as “Global leader” in Who’s Who Legal – Arbitration 2022. Mikal also won the Client Choice Award in Arbitration and ADR in 2020.
In Chambers (2021), Mikal is ranked within Dispute resolution and Construction.
Mikal Brøndmo is recommended by Legal 500 (2022) within four categories: Offshore construction and shipbuilding, Oil and gas, Construction and Dispute resolution.
“thorough, well prepared and convincing”
(Chambers Global 2020, Dispute resolution)
“efficient and commercially aware”
(Chambers Global 2019, Dispute resolution)
‘quick, pleasant and productive’ (Legal 500, 2019)
‘“problem-solving expert’, ‘knowledgeable and committed’, Mikal Brøndmo” (Legal 500, 2018)
‘“brilliant team player’, Mikal Brøndmo”
(Legal 500, 2017)